The Drum Point Lighthouse
The Drum Point Club is the original site of a lightouse that for many years helped navigators keep their bearings in local waters. Today there only remains a marker of the lighthouse's postion. The lighthouse has been moved to the Calvert Marine Museum where it was restored . This page displays some pictures of the lighthouse from the days (1940's) when the lighthouse was operated by the Coast Guard. The photos are from a collection of Robert Scott Whitaker, the son of one of the guardsmen apperaing in some of the photos from the 1940's.
In July, 2008, Robert Eugene Whitaker (born 01/28/28), his son, Robert Scott Whitaker (born 07/12/62), and grandson, Benjamin Wade Whitaker (born 01/05/99), drove from California with the goal of visiting the Drum Point Lighthouse. The trio spent some time at the Calvert Marine Museum visiting the restored lighthouse. Then they visited the Drum Point Club, the original
site of that lighthouse and provided some wonderful information. John used to spend six week stints living on the structure so that John Hansen (permanent lighthousekeeper) would be able to spend time in Baltimore with his family. He observed that the current navigational marker is just about in the same position as the lighthouse was. Remnants of the catwalk which allowed the coastguard personnel to walk right up to the stairwell can be seen. There was a pipe from the shore and a cistern for fresh water. He marveled at the forest planted by the charter members of the club, and offered to have a placque placed on the beach. The club had placed such a marker on the beach several years ago, butgreat amounts of sand from "Ernesto" severalyears ago have piled up. Several club members are researching the composition of the marker and hope to uncover it.